Saturday, November 5, 2011

How to stretch watercolor paper

For a long time I stayed away from watercolors because I had no idea how to stretch watercolor paper. I always had problems with buckling and would end up back using acrylics. But I decided to do some research online and after studying many other people’s techniques and combining what I liked I finally settled on the method that worked best for me.

What you’ll need: regular masking tape (wide width), a flat surface to tape the paper down to, a large bath towel, and a tub of water to dip the paper in.

Most artists use brown gummed tape to tape down the paper, but when I went searching for it locally no one sold it, meaning I would have to buy it online. I wanted to start painting right away and because I am impatient I just used masking tape I found in my drawer and have never had a problem. Just be sure that you are using an oversized piece of paper, this way the tape never touches what you intend to put paint on. So should the tape rip the paper during removal, it will not matter. I usually do an 8X10 on an 11X14 so I have no worries. If you don’t want to use a larger sheet of paper you can buy gummed tape on most art supplies websites and some art specialty stores in your area.

Step 1: Dip the paper in the tub of water and let it set until it is soaked through. Move it gently in the water in a back and forth motion being sure to push the entire paper under the surface of the water. Once it has totally soaked through (usually no more then 2-3 minutes, thicker paper may take longer) remove the paper and let all the excess water drip off into the tub.

Step 2: Lay a towel out on the floor and set the paper on the top half of the towel allowing the bottom half to fold over the paper covering it completely. Your paper should be sandwiched between the towel halves. Starting at the middle top of the towel press firmly down and begin pressing from side to side all the way down the entire paper to absorb access moisture. Do this multiple times. Then pulling back the towel, flip the paper over, replace the towel over the top and repeat.

Step 3: Now the paper should be damp but not “wet”. Lay your paper on the flat surface. Measuring with your eye rip off a piece of masking tape to fit one side. BEFORE YOU PUT THE TAPE ON PLACE THE ENTIRE STICKY SIDE ONTO A PIECE OF CLOTHING TO TAKE OFF SOME OF THE TACK. IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP THE TAPE WILL BE TO DIFFICULT TO REMOVE AND WILL RIP YOUR PAPER! After pulling the tape off your clothing place it on the paper edge so that half of the tape's width is on the paper and the other half is on the flat surface. Running your figure along the tape press the seam of the tape and surface firmly down. Repeat this step on all sides of the paper.
Step 4: Allow the paper to stretch for about 24 hours. Very carefully remove the tape and start painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment