Friday, December 9, 2011

Progression painting of mushrooms

This is a progession of me painting a couple of mushrooms in watercolor on arches cold pressed 140lb paper.

                                                            I start with the drawing.
Here I added a grey wash for depth.
I begin putting on raw umber and burnt umber over the mushroom top.
I finished the mushroom top and added a raw umber wash to the underside of the mushroom.
Here I finished the underside with some burnt umber and grey to indicate depth.
I'm putting a deeper grey wash with light touches of raw umber and burnt umber. I used long line strokes to give the stem a gnarley look.
I used the same methods as above to complete the smaller mushroom.
The last step was adding some ground. I once again used raw and burnt umber with just a touch of grey to pull everything together.

No comments:

Post a Comment